Monday 13 April 2009

Tree's a crowd

Sequoias love company, as the saying goes.  When Dana and Amir returned from their spring break I was honoured and surprised to have delivered a whole consignment of potential trees to keep my own Sequoiadendron giganteum (currently 2mm tall) from getting lonely.

But how to propagate them?  This is Berkeley, where recycling isn't just a consumer choice but a way of life.  I was therefore able to find myself two "greenhouses", a complete drainage system, and a large amount of soil (thank you, Amanda) for free!

With a lot of help from Dana my balcony is now home to a fully functioning arboretum, ready to host a forest of Joshua trees and more sequoia...or maybe Ponderosa pines.  I'm hoping that, in a few months, I'll be producing all my own oxygen.

But what to do with the leftover seeds?  On a walk to the beach this afternoon they were scattered to the four winds to find their own homes.  Some no doubt fell on stony ground, some fell on weeds, but some will grow.  "Where did all these Joshua trees come from, Grandpa?"  "No one truly knows, but some say travellers from far-off lands once walked here..."



1. Find greenhouse.



2. Sort out drainage.



3. Add soil and water.



4. Make holes.



5. Plant with happiness!  You're done!!



Joshua tree seeds, illegally imported from Arizona.



See them grow!



Dana has a project of her own - an acorn gathered in Texas.  It'll grow into a normal oak, only much bigger...



Fly, my pretties!  I remember when all this was just fields.