Wednesday 31 December 2014

Reverse migration

Snowbirds are what they call the people who escape the frozen northerly wastes for places like Arizona over the winter months.  I'm not sure what the term is for those that come the other way, but we were very happy to welcome two sets of southern friends in the last few days.

First came the Schwimmers, staying with family in Seattle and making the trip over the border to see the delights of Canada (us, of course).  Logan was one of the first people to appear on this blog, so it's faintly terrifying to see him now that he's six.  We wandered to Bright Nights in Stanley Park (California may do Christmas lights, but it doesn't do them in sub-zero conditions) and the next day we took a trip to Science World.

That was great - Lauren is a scientist, a proper one with a PhD and everything, and I was able to deploy my theology degree to full effect.  "You might say that," I retorted to every one of her explanations, "but don't you think it might just be angels making it happen?"  She really enjoyed that.

Sadly they were only here for a night, so they crossed back into the land of the free and downward to warmer climes.  Logan is on the list of future au pairs.  He does owe me, after all.

Then came Sagy and Moran!  Moran's sister has lived in Vancouver for many years, and I miss the University Village days when I could stamp on the floor and Moran would appear shortly afterwards with a plate of freshly-baked cookies.

Noa, who was also once a little baby, is now a beautiful four-year-old, and her little brother Yuval is more handsome than both his parents.  Pete had a great time with them both, although he was far more keen to give Noa kisses than she was to receive them.  Like father like son, I suppose.


Cold enough for ya?  As we say in Canada.


Caleb pilots a flying saucer, while his dad sits on it.


Meanwhile, my dad explores fluid dynamics.


Check out my dam building!  Tiny villagers downstream see their fishing livelihood literally dry up.


Dad uses telepathy to keep a beach ball afloat.


Pete enters the eye of the storm in the tornado simulator.


Colour me beautiful.


Evan tests if he could have made it as a basketball pro.


A few days later, the chaos of Uni Village, recreated across generations.


All the kids are into selfies, so I try to keep up.


Well done Mum.


Riot grrrrrl.


Yuval has shades of the young Elvis about him.  Just like I did when I was his age.