Saturday 11 April 2015

Science vs. Religion. Again.

I take my responsibilities as a Godparent seriously, no more so than when it comes to education, and so part of Meg's trip to Vancouver was always going to include Science World.  I wanted her to learn that not everyone believes the same things, and that some don't even realise that angels, magic, pixies, or some combination of the three, are the true cause of all observable phenomena.

As usual, I was disappointed that my extensive letter writing program to Science World's director still fails to bear fruit.  There is no mention in the biology section of the four humours that govern human temprament or, indeed, the miasmatic theory of disease.  I couldn't find any references anywhere to the luminiferous aether or the fact that the earth is hollow.  Missing sections on alchemy, numerology, and phrenology are still a serious omission.  We watched a show about fire that didn't even mention phlogiston.

Not that Pete or Megan were bothered, running around together like crazy things and telling me to "stop embarrassing us".  But I didn't let it get to me, because Saturn is currently ascending in my sixth house and it's the dawning of the Age of Aquarius, so all good.
 
 
Daddy, I want a big sister.
 
 
What's holding the beach ball up in the air?  Exactly.
 
 
Fun with parachute launching.
 
 
Actually Pete, become an engineer.  It pays well.
 
 
Children increase arithmetically, trouble increases exponentially.
 
 
Meg, ballerina and gymnast (and still young) did a lot better at this than me.
 
 
Teamwork...on a display that demonstrates the length of human intestines.  Ew.
 
 
Megan climbs, counteracting a force described as "gravity".
 

This is what science should stick to - making pretty things, like fireworks and sherbet.  Leave the heavy lifting to the theologians.