Sunday 13 September 2015

Coastal retreat

I haven't quite recalibrated myself to American standards.  "We've rented a house just down the coast," said Christine.  "Would you like to come?"  Of course!

It turned out that "just down the coast" was a four-hour drive into the wilds of Virginia.  If you drive four hours from where I grew up you've crossed three countries and you're in Barcelona.

Christine, being smart, didn't tell the crazy, small-scale Europeans how long the drive was, for which I'm eternally grateful as when we (finally) arrived it was fabulous.  We were in Virginia Beach.  Literally in it: the sand started ten yards in front of the house.  Dolphins were simming past, the sun was out, and the waters of Cheasapeake Bay were warm and inviting.

I didn't take up that invitation of course.  A British gentleman should never remove his socks in public, but my wife and son (and everybody else) utterly ignored this rule and spent many hours in the sea.  I put up a large sunshade under which I read "Elvis and Me" by Priscilla Presley while peering disapprovingly at all the fun going on in the sun.

Despite my best efforts we had a ridiculously enjoyable weekend mostly within a 100-yard square of the house, drinking cocktails on the beach, enjoying Vince's barbecued shrimp, and chilling in the company of very good friends.  We drove the four hours back in daylight, where it became clear that every little town we passed through has its own "come see where we beat the British during the revolutionary war" battlefield museum.  But after such a relaxing time even that couldn't make me turn off the road to give the tour guides a piece of my mind.  To everyone's relief.


So, explain to me again the American concept of "white trash"...


How many men does it take to put up a sunshade?  More than you'd think.


Pete digs for oil, at his mother's request.


Oooooh yes.


JJ, in training for his first triathlon.


Honey, remember when we had two kids?


There has always been some tension in our (18-years-today) marriage between those of us that love the beach and those that don't.  With Pete's arrival I find myself in the small minority.


But then it is daddy's holiday too.


Claire and JJ construct a coastal defense.  We were near a very large naval base, and watched a giant aircraft carrier saunter by on Sunday.


Water baby!


Hannah makes shortbread cookies with the kids.


Vince makes margaritas for the adults.


Christine's dad teaches Pete how to play poker dice (thanks Jim).


Man and grill.


Sunday morning, when it was cold, grey and blustery.  So of course Hannah and Pete headed straight for the waves.  You can take the family out of England but...