Friday 15 January 2016

Parental anniversary

It's that day when I congratulate myself on another twelve months of discharging my duty as a parent, keeping my ever-growing toddler sheltered and fed, and passing on only the average amount of psychological problems that he'll need to seek treatment for in later life.  And let's not forget the educational aspect I provide, because computer games are extremely educational and also help to develop coordination and reflexes.

Yes, I think I'll give myself a "highly satisfactory" grade when I sit myself down for my annual self-administered review tonight, and may even allow myself a little celebratory drink.  When Pete hands me my G&T and asks "did I put enough ice in Daddy?" (it's very important to pass your skills onto the younger generation) I'll reply "of course you did, son.  Oh, and...happy birthday."


Although I was allowed to deliver 36 icing-and-sprinkle-covered cupcakes to his daycare I was not permitted to stay and watch the effects they had on 12 children.