Monday 25 July 2016

Welshing

Thankfully Hannah made me a nice spreadsheet so I can check where I am, which has come in useful in a first 72 hours that's included...well, lots.  The man at the car rental place took down the mileage before we left but I told him not to bother - I don't want to give him a heart attack when we return.

Anyway, the spreadsheet tells me we're in Wales now, which seems about right as I look out over the lush fields and valleys and notice how much better at football everyone is.  We got here via a Goddaughter in Somerset, in-laws in Dorset, church in Frome followed by lunch in Herefordshire, and then a trip back to Carmarthen and some ten pin bowling.  Manchester tomorrow.

My sister caught a ride with us, sponging off her elder brother at usual, but has been very useful as Pete prefers Aunty Emily at bath/bedtime.  To be honest, he's met so many people already that he's just assuming we're related to everyone in Britain and therefore (like Grandma) they'll do anything he asks.  Mostly it's true, although he met his match trying to keep up with his three older cousins here in Haverfordwest.  Running around like mad, shooting guns at imaginary monsters, seems to be an excellent remedy for jet-lag.  If I don't get a decent sleep tonight I'm going to try it myself.


Goddaughter Charity, beginning to pay back the 10,000+ hours she owes me in babysitting.


As a Godfather I advocate a healthy and varied diet.


Granny entertains with bubbles.


Lunch at the Huckles.  What's one more added to this crowd?


Expending some energy.


Me and Miles (father of most of the children above).  The years have been kinder to one of us than the other.


Two of the highlights of Wales: Aunty Liz and Russ.


Pete and Godson Freddie, leading each other astray.


How old to be legally employed on a farm?


Back to Carmarthen for lunch.


Play.


And more play.


We met my cousin Vicky and her kids at the Carmarthen bowling alley for a family competition.  Vic won the first game, Pete the second.  Honour was maintained.


An American pastime in Wales.


Cousins.


Cousins sitting on cousins.


Rev Neil Evans, who wed me and Hannah a few short years ago.  Then he converted to Roman Catholicism, which I think means our marriage is now voided.  I'll have to check that.


Three minutes after leaving the bowling.


Back at the farm, Pete convinces Great-Uncle Bill to watch Peppa Pig.  Shouldn't a farmer want to learn about animals?