Saturday 11 February 2017

So you don't have to

Firstly, my coffee machine came back.  Very quickly, I might add, so I was possibly a bit of a drama queen about that.  But, you know...coffee!  Caffeine deprivation can do strange things to the brain and that's why, while I was in withdrawal, I found my gaze wandering now and again towards Starbucks.

I don't have anything against Starbucks.  They have comfortable seats, and the temperature inside is usually very reasonable.  There are many reasons to visit, their coffee is not one of them.  That said, in my cappuccino-less state I did notice something that caught my attention: a sign advertising Smoked Butterscotch Lattes.

What?  How do you smoke a butterscotch?  And yet, from Werther's Original to the only acceptable flavour of Angel Delight, butterscotch is something of a personal favourite.  In the spirit of embarking upon foreign adventures, I took the plunge.

The small disposable cup I was handed contained a drink not entirely unlike coffee.  It was very sweet, but there were certainly notes of burnt sugar and I was pleasantly surprised by their subtlety.  Until I got to the bottom and discovered where the smoked butterscotch syrup had been hiding out.  As I heard my teeth screaming I thought: 'this might not have been the best idea.'

But anyway, every experience is a learning experience, and I learned that I should never experience this particular experience ever again.  By opting for a Peter Rabbit Organics Strawberry and Banana Organic Fruit Snack my son made a far better choice than me, but that's nothing new.


How could I resist?  How should I have resisted?


What's that you're singing, Pete?  I told you so, I told you so...?