Saturday 24 February 2018

Rodeo parade

It's Houston rodeo season!  Yes, the biggest rodeo in the world (I haven't checked that, I'm just assuming, because this is Texas) gets underway shortly.  Amidst the riding and roping, the guinea pig costume competition takes place next week, which is the kind of thing that I - and this blog - live for.

But before all that it was time for the parade which, as you might imagine, entailed a whole lot of cowboys and cowgirls riding through the centre of Houston.  I also learned that there are many "trail riding groups" around here; people that own horses and wagons and...go ride trails.  My first question is: do I need my own horse/wagon to join?  Because I'm sure Hannah would let me get one if I do.

The parade was a nice little appetiser for the rodeo proper, and lasted for four hours, although a 5-yr-old's attention wavered after about one.  We'll make a true cowboy of him yet, but right now I'm off to polish my boots ready for some guinea pig wrangling.  That's about as tough as I get when it comes to livestock...


The first of the cowgirls come by.  Gee, I wonder what state they're from!


Can the world really be in that much trouble while we still have the Girl Scouts of America?  And it's cookie season!


First of the trail riders.  Four wheels on my wagon (but no roof).



Now these trail riders are fancy.  Can I join?


Expectant Texan faces in the crowd.


Cowboys are looking younger every year.


Mechanical wagons.


Then came the dancing horses!


Mounted cavalry from Texas A&M.  We know many people who studied there - they never mentioned horsemanship was an entry requirement, but it's Texas, so...


And some more wagons!


What says Texas as much as horses, cattle, and rodeos?  Well, I guess there is one thing.