Friday 8 June 2018

Pie man

The life of a thrift store connoisseur is a turbulent one.  Tremendous highs, like when I found cowboy boots in my size and they didn't even smell too much of the previous owner's sweaty feet.  And then crushing lows, like my Christmas tree that I discovered had the top branches missing after I'd dragged it home on the bus.

But sometimes you unearth something in the dusty piles of other people's discarded stuff that changes your life, and today was that day.  In the Charity Guild of Catholic Women shop I discovered...a mini pie maker.

I'll say that again.  A mini pie maker!  It automatically makes mini pies; it's like a sandwich toaster, but instead of toasties it makes pies.  And they're mini pies!  Everything's better when it's mini.  A lamb is better than a sheep, a puppy is better than a dog, a kitten is better than a cat.  Now imagine each of those in an appropriately-sized pie!  It doesn't get any more amazing.

Disappointingly, I found that the pie machine isn't totally automatic - you still have to make the pastry and the filling to go in it.  But once my prep was done, and the kitchen was covered with flour and used bowls, the magic could begin.  In the wink of an eye I had chicken pies and cheesy vegetable pies on Hannah and Pete's plates, followed by dulce de leche cheesecake pies for pudding.

"But David," you may say.  "Why don't you just use muffin tins, which you already own, and bake mini pies in the oven, which you already own?"  To which I respond: "I'm asking the questions around here."  Also: never underestimate the power of the argument "really I'm just making a donation to charity!" when justifying the purchase of something random at a thrift store.

It's fair to note that the rest of my family did not immediately grasp quite how significant this development was in our culinary lives, and that from now on everything will be served in a pie.  After eating three myself, I did reflect that the mini pie does skew the crust-to-filling ratio towards pastry.  It's a good job pastry isn't fattening!  Ha ha...

Having spent most of the day making pies, then cleaning up after myself, then eating probably too many of them, then realising that heavy hot pies that linger in the tummy are more suited to the British climate than the 100F+ Texan one, then having pies in the fridge for leftovers tonight, I developed some empathy for whoever donated this item in the first place.  Maybe I'll leave it a week before cooking some more pies.  Or visiting another charity shop.


It even came with a free mini pie recipe book!  I was glad I got to it before any other thrift vultures.


First batch.  A little messy, but...


...deliciously filled, and excellent crumbly pastry.


 Somewhat skeptical, but they will come to accept.


You can make pudding pies as well!  So versatile.


A happy, slightly bloated, pie man.