Monday 9 July 2018

Youth of today

When Charity, our Goddaughter, told us she was flying over to visit for three weeks I was shocked - do they let babies fly unaccompanied?  Then she informed me that she's now 16, and has just finished her GCSEs, so is coming for a break in Texas.  How come everyone around me keeps getting older but I still look 25?

We picked her up from the airport, somewhat late as she was taken into a back room and questioned because someone in LA has the same name as her and a criminal record.  We showed her no mercy either, taking her straight out to the shops to buy Houston Astros stuff for a baseball game we had tickets to the next day.

It's a long time since I was a 16-yr-old girl but I'm very impressed with my Goddaughter, mostly because she has endless patience while sitting and reading with Pete.  She tells me she likes shopping, which is what we'll be doing today.  She's asked to go to a shop called "Victoria's Secret".  I have no idea what they sell, probably cuddly toys or dolls or something - the type of thing girls Charity's age are into.


Remember all that babysitting?  It's payback time.


An intro to Texan cuisine: chicken and waffles, liberally doused in syrup.


Out at the ball game.


She's taller than I remember.


Not the most expensive seats in the place.


Young and beautiful.  But enough about me...