Saturday 11 August 2018

Emigration aggravation

After sobering up we moved into the endgame of our trip, and what better way to finish than the Celtic mysteries and magic of Wales?  We drove west, all the way along the picturesque M4, stopping in at Cardiff, Neath, Carmarthen and Haverfordwest.  There's a road trip!

Once down there we had a day of rural relaxation on my cousin's farm.  I was a few hours late waking up for the 4am milking, but after that we picked blackberries, wandered about inspecting the livestock, and made our way to an extremely crowded beach - damned tourists!

A highlight was meeting my nephew Ollie's new ferrets.  It turns out that Hannah is a natural ferret-fancier, and was very happy to have the little critter running around inside her cardigan.  I briefly considered seeing if it would run up my trouser leg.

Then it was kisses and goodbyes to every aunt, uncle, cousin, nephew, niece - there are a lot of them around this way - and a long and surprisingly rainy cross-country drive up to Manchester.  Who should we meet there but the other side of the family, who have decided to fly out to Houston with us.  Was I informed of this?  Isn't there some rule where only a certain number of family members can travel together?  Looks like it could be a crowded two weeks; so much for my holiday to recover from my holiday...


The Riviera?  No, Weymouth!


You have to remain lubricated in hot weather (cue Hannah's impassioned argument about how warm, malty British beer is the best in the world). 


Playing a non-iPad game!  Shocking.


In Neath meeting Neil, the vicar who married us two or three years back.


Make a wish!


Cousins in Carmarthen, after enjoying a slushy.


Legit farmers.


Pippa and Pete.  Not sure who's leading who.


Talking to the animals.


My uncle's early-morning fungus haul.  Today I learned that lots of hot weather followed by a downpour = tons of mushrooms.


Fortress Wales!


Classic British summer (i.e. just above freezing).


Only the 1000th ice cream of the hols.


 Rodent!


She never lets me do this to her.


Wildlife photographer of the year, me.
 

 The last thing a rabbit sees.


More wild animals: Pip, Fred, Pete.
 

At Manchester Airport.  Where did all these extra people come from?


Aaannnddd...now they're in my house.