Saturday 23 March 2019

Proudly serving my corporate masters

There comes a moment that a boy reaches an age when he must decide what he's going to do for the rest of his life.  For Pete, that age is six, and the moment is the When I Grow Up Expo - a careers fair put on by Houston Independent School District for six-year-olds.  With no pesky federal laws around here, we start 'em young in Texas!

I think the event was open to older kids as well, but the advantage of having a cute kindergartner who's happy - in a very un-British manner - to go up and talk to anybody is that you get LOADS of freebies.  We are not going to be in need of pens for many years, even if a lot say things like "Houston Sanitation District" on them.

As ever, it's just fascinating to talk to people who are experts in their fields, and so we learned all about where Houston's water comes from (mostly surface run-off, unless they get really desperate i.e. every day in summer) how the Port of Houston works (the US's largest importer of things-that-won't-fit-in-shipping-containers!) and how many words-a-minute a professional stenographer can churn out (220!!)

It was an excellent and inspiring event, and at the end of it I asked Pete if he now knew what he wanted to be when he grows up.  "I want to be a Dad," he said, melting my heart, "so I can stay at home all day and play computer games."  He's so funny, where on earth does he get ideas like that!?  Haha.  Who knows?  Haha.  Hm.


It's a trap!


Hannah, who is absolutely not a corporate spy, checks out a competitor's oil rig in virtual reality.


Local employers were here too.


Police horse!  Not one of the freebies.


Pete spent a disproportionate amount of time testing fake (I hope) urine.  If it was real, the donor has some medical problems.


Nope.  Nope.  Not an area of work I will be going into.  I'm just going to sit down for a bit...


Interesting how money seems to be the biggest component on the road to college success.


I've always found firefighters sexy.


Not sure either of these two is cut out for running Port Houston.


If you want to get rich Pete, you know what line of work you have to go into.