Monday 26 August 2019

Tour de school

Ever since we began the school run on our bikes, I've been dreaming of the day that I can sit back in the peloton allowing the riders in the front to take the headwind so I can conserve my energy through the difficult mountain stages, saving myself for the sprints and inevitably donning the maillot jaune before enjoying my ceremonial laps of the Champs-Elysees holding a glass of Champagne.

And today that happened! Well, some of it, when Lexi had her first day at Pete and Levi's school, meaning parents Dave and Kindra also joined us on our daily ride.

The morning's stage was hotly contested, with Levi's new bike with bigger wheels giving him something of an advantage before I could work through the gears to assert dominance. Dave took the lead navigating the treacherous crossing-the-main-road (the organisers this year forgetting to tell the crossing lady that school had restarted, making the experience of getting over a Houston pedestrian crossing truly life threatening).

Due to it being the first day of school, spectators were everywhere; I'll be having words with the race stewards/principal about their incursions onto our route. Thankfully it didn't detract too much, and all three front riders were delivered to their classrooms with school supplies and signed forms, ready for a full day of learning and return ride this afternoon. Things will only get more competitive from here. I'm off to buy some horse steroids to give me an edge, like a real professional cyclist.


Under starter's orders.


The famous time trial across West Grey St. (Houston drivers give you around 0.3 seconds to cross).


Kindra and Dave tactically slipstreaming off their 4-yr-old.


Congregating in the cafe before the first day of First Grade, Pete looking scared and timid with new classmates (and old daycare buddies) Grace and Jackie. Poor teacher.