Sunday 26 January 2020

Outdoor living

Houston: so uncomfortably hot and humid! Until we decide to go camping, when the weather gods crank the thermostat right down as if to mock our Britishness. Frankly I'm too old for all this, which is why after waking up in a tent where I could see my breath we decided that maybe one night was all we could cope with this particular weekend.

Not that Pete minded, or noticed; together with a tribe of other kids he spent the whole time in pyjamas and welly boots, chasing zombies off into the forest. When we'd thawed sufficiently, Hannah and I went for a walk around the lake, although given the place is called Double Lake Campground we could only find one.

The weekend was organized by Stefano and Heidi, parents of Emilia who was friends with Pete in his old school, and they know everybody. It was therefore a very large and diverse bunch of us, hailing from Italy, Peru, England, Wales, and even New Zealand. Thankfully I'd brought a cricket bat, because cricket - as everyone knows - unites the world.

I woke up the next morning feeling accomplished and satisfied. Partially because I'd helped a Kiwi dad introduce his American-born daughters to the wonders of the greatest game, but mostly because I was at home in my own bed.


Hannah, thrilled to be in the great ourdoors again.


Pete and Emilia, actually thrilled. 


Double Lake, although missing one.


There is no greater gift a child can receive than cricket.


Except maybe S'mores.


Post-apocalyptic scavenger society.

 
 
Too many cooks...?