Wednesday 19 July 2023

Punch it, Chewie!

While the stated reason for going to Florida was to scuba dive, the real reason is obvious: to meet Disney princesses.

Sadly, the court order banning me from coming within 50 feet of a Disney princess is in place until 2028, but it doesn't say anything about meeting other characters! And so I fulfilled a lifetime's ambition by shaking hands with someone I've always modelled my character, career, and body hair on: Chewbacca.

But this wasn't only about wookies. We drove up to Orlando and spent two days in Uncle Walt's theme park, first in the "traditional" Magic Kingdom, where American values like family and merchandise are celebrated, then in Hollywood Studios, mostly in their Galaxy's Edge Star Wars bit.

It was hot, it was humid, it was wonderful. It's just all so easy. Every member of staff greets you with a smile, and a "hello, friend", and while I know it's all fake, and I'm basically paying them to be nice to me, after another northern European winter I really don't care. This made me feel quite guilty, but when a big hairy wookie wraps his arms around you, nothing else matters.


From left to right: Walt, me, Mickey, Pete.


Off for adventure!


It's A Small World. This is as exciting as I like my Disney rides to be.


Taken with zoom lens, so technically more than 50ft away.


Magic carpet ride.


In the Hall Of Presidents. Some of the animatronics were more energetic than the real things.


I was always told that theology was a Mickey Mouse degree.


Oooh! Aaaah!


Planning our next run at the Death Star.


The family that flies together, stays together.


I find your lack of faith disturbing.


Open the pod bay doors, Hal (maybe that's something else).


There were other bits of the park but ... whatever.


Belly rubs for BB-8.


A quick drink in the cantina. They accept American dollars.


In the droid factory.


The man, the myth, the legend! And a wookie.