Tuesday 23 March 2010

Submarine

If you're British it's always nice to find yourself back on an island. This little atoll does have a few advantages over our sovereign nation, one of the foremost being that you can enter the sea without fear of instant hypothermia.

After a day of acclimatising it was time for Hannah and I to don suncream, swimmers, and snorkels and check out the life that teems in these warm ocean waters. We set up camp on the beach with various other Haasies and headed out into the waves.

After a few minutes it became clear that native sea life is quite shy in the face of hundreds of swimmers, jet-skiers, banana boats, inflatables, etc. Hannah and I bobbed about enjoying the view of the sandy sea floor...but no fishies.

Did this matter? By no means! Because the aim of this expedition was for me to try out my new underwater camera case. Yes, it resembles a sandwich bag with some Velcro attached, but I can report that it is 100% effective. Imagine how cool it will be if I actually find something to photograph!



The Davieses in Hawaii.



Ok, it was a little chilly at first.



Wow! The bottom!



I think we look better underwater than on land.



Hannah floats in the big blue.



Wow!! Some seaweed!!



This is the kind of sea life I prefer - a mermaid.

P.S. 500th American blog post! Are you still with me?