Wednesday 9 June 2010

One on 1

I was fed up with being home alone. Am I even old enough to be legally left? So I jumped in the car and drove south to Monterey. Hannah has a day left on her conference and we're staying with Jack and Amanda, reliving those crazy days of the MBA so long ago.

I decided to take the scenic route along the Pacific Coast Highway, zig-zagging down the coast past driftwood-strewn beaches, lighthouses, and pine forests.

What it also offers if plenty of weirdness. I obviously couldn't drive past Cameron's English Pub and Inn without stopping. Inside it was surprisingly authentic: the floors were sticky, it was dark, and I was totally ignored by the bar staff. I shed a tear of homesickness.

My next stop was Pomponio State Beach and some time staring at the Pacific as it continued its relentless crashing against the California shore, and then a visit to Pigeon Point Lighthouse. This old establishment has found a second life as a youth hostel, complete with sea view hot tub. I was then distracted by free jam tasting at Swanton Berry Farm, where all purchases are on an honour system. Nicely Californian.

Sadly my time was running out, so I zipped through Santa Cruz and on down to meet Hannah, Jack, and Amanda in my second fake English establishment of the day - the London Bridge Pub on the Monterey waterfront. They did serve nice chips.



Because every pub in England has a red double-decker bus parked outside.



The village store. $4.99 for a pack of Hob Nobs, $7.99 for salad cream!?



Pomponio beach. Not too crowded on a Wednesday.



Me and the sea.


Another common Californian sight.



Pigeon Point, where at $23 a night we might come to live.



Back in the zone.



Jam tasting (organic, of course).



I came away much richer than when I went in (what? It tells you to pay yourself!)



Down in Monterey, with two genuine Americans in a very ungenuine pub.