Sunday 22 May 2011

And the award goes to...

Chevron, that wonderful company that helps the community and does a little oil drilling on the side to make ends meet, won an East Bay Award for being the Best Corporate Citizen of 2011!  The East Bay Leadership Foundation holds these awards annually, and Chevron takes the coveted crown from last year's winner, Round Table Pizza.

In practice, this meant that Hannah and I were coerced into filling two seats at the Chevron table in exchange for (that's right!) free food and drink.  The event was actually nice and frou-frou, being black tie and in a local motor museum.  We dined next to Ferraris, Bugatis, and (most importantly) Jaguars.  The smell of oil and clutch fluid as we entered the hall made me feel rather homesick for our little MG Midget, whose parts are currently strewn across several UK garages, but alas the museum's collection did not include any of that particular model.

It was a particularly American gathering, which meant strangers talked to us!  After three minutes chatting with Robert (retired psychiatrist) and his wife he announced that they were so enjoying this conversation that they would love to spend more time with us, and proffered his business card.  "Really?" I thought.  "I would judge this interaction as nothing more than average."  But I am now comfortable with American professional insincerity, so thanked him warmly and expect never to hear from them again.

It was also quickly clear that this was a place where money talked.  As soon as I trotted out the "your government does not allow me to work" chestnut when asked what I did, people seemed to lose interest in me.  I had to prove that I was a charming, engaging, and intelligent individual before I'd win them back.  So I inevitably spent a lot of time looking at cars, silently, alone.

The meal was great, catered for by our very own Scott's of Walnut Creek, and the Chevron table was full of lovely people (because it's a lovely company).  Hannah's boss Matt got to go up on stage and receive the award, but the standing ovation that the individual winners got was a little slower coming for the corporate oil-company victor.  Californians!  Luckily a lot of our table-mates were Texan.  They understand things down there.


Oi!  Move out of the way of that gorgeous classic Jag!


Inside, with some cheap Italian Ferraris.


This is more like it!  A 1963 E-type.


Meanwhile, at the Chevron table.


The great and the good (and us).


Yummy.


Woo, go Chevron!


Hannah would like to thank her parents, her supportive husband...