Sunday 19 August 2012

Muir than you can eat

John Muir: naturalist, activist, friend of Chevron.  At least, he was tonight.  It was another sponsored dinner entitled The John Muir Fresh Aire Affaire.  Ironic, given Chevron's recent incident.

None of that mattered as we sauntered around a pear orchard in John Muir National Historic Site, enjoying "food stations" - basically an all-you-can-eat buffet, but a little more spread out.  Smooth jazz drifted through the branches before the obligatory fund raising auction and pledge drive.

There were also real live National Park Rangers there!  We cornered one, Tom Leatherman (what a great name for a ranger) and fired questions at him.  He knew his stuff.  When Meg was staying she was sworn in as a Junior Ranger at Sequoia National Park, but I couldn't convince Tom to do the same for me here.  I had to be content with a photo, and a return to the suckling pig food station.


A national park, in Martinez!  Who'd have thought?


Dinner in the orchard.  We arrived early.


Could you tell me where I apply for respiratory problem compensation?


Smooth.



I spotted the martini glasses quickly...but they were used to serve cous cous!  What?!


This little piggy went wee wee wee sizzle.


My new friend, Ranger Tom.