Friday 21 June 2013

Sink or swim

There comes a time in every man's life when he must be dropped into a freezing cold pool of water to see whether he sinks or swims.  It's what they did in ancient Sparta, it's what my parents did for me, and it never did me any harm, apart from giving me a life-long morbid fear of water.

That moment came for Pete today, when it was judged (by me) that temperatures had risen high enough for him to take a dip in our unheated swimming pool.  He loves his bath, and this wasn't very different, apart from the extreme increase in size and precipitous dip in temperature.

He loved it!  Nothing occupies him for too long (he might be ADHD - our American pediatrician has already offered to medicate, of course) but he splashed about with only a faintly bemused and worried look for almost half-an-hour.  I now have to add swimming to the list of sports at which he may represent internationally (cricket, rugby, backgammon).


Straight in and not sinking, which is a relief, as I'd have some explaining to do to his mother.


Chilling with the ladies.


The lifeguard was on duty at all times.


A look of pure happiness on the little boy's face!


Thirty seconds after drying off.  Here's hoping for a quiet night to follow too.