Thursday 27 June 2013

Yukon ho!

One of the great things about being a Chevron trophy husband is that your better half can be sent anywhere to help with the noble worldwide effort to produce energy.  And that day has come!  Chevron has picked its brightest and best to go to Canada to oversee a new, cutting-edge gas pipeline.


The project is actually based in a place called Kitimat but we'll be moving just over the border to Vancouver.  Hannah will be making sure that local First Nation communities will be getting the inward investment they deserve from the sale of their gas (you see: Chevron is good.  Chevron is good.  Chevron is good.)

Processes have now begun for our move; today I had to take an International Assignment Profile test to make sure that I'm suited to living in a foreign country.  One question was: "How dependent is your mother on you for her emotional well being?".  Another: "How concerned are you that you may drink too much alcohol during this assignment?" and the next: "How concerned are you that your wife may drink too much or have potential problems with alcohol during the assignment?"  I answered as truthfully as my conscience would allow.

So Canada it is!  They do a few strange things there, like call "ice hockey" just "hockey".  I have no idea what they call hockey.  But the Queen is Head of State so I'll have to change my American quips from "we used to own you" to "we still own you".  I wonder how many Canadian friends we'll make.

It looks like we'll be moving in August, so it's time to fill up on all the goodies that the Creek has to offer.  Hannah is relishing the challenges of her new position, I'm dreaming of an apartment with an in-suite washer/dryer.  It's going to be hard to leave here, although easier when today's temperature is close to triple figures.  Vancouver, I believe, has a more "English" climate.  Other than that: Go Canucks!


I told people that Hannah's job was moving to Kitimat and they said "wear the fox hat".


We'll see how this one does with a move away from his homeland.  Parlez vous Canadien?