Saturday 28 June 2014

Historical truths

I've told Hannah a lot of lies about what a lovely child I was growing up.  She believes most of them, but things have got difficult with the arrival from Frome of Sue and Justin.  They've known me since I was one, and with their three boys I got up to plenty of (good-natured, harmless) mischief around Somerset.  So far I've managed to steer the conversation away from the worst bits.

Sue and Justin have stopped in at the end of a West Coast odyssey that has taken them from San Francisco up the coast to Seattle in an RV and then by boat to Vancouver Island.  On the way they've seen bears, orcas, and Tillamook cheese.  They arrived here in the middle of Vancouver International Buskers Festival so we added "strange Australian juggling acts" to that list.  Now we have a few days to show them the delights of the city before they fly home.  First mission: convince them to try a japadog.


"When your Dad was your age, he set fire to my shed..."


Busking.


The most impressive thing was that his patter made this one trick last about 30 minutes.


Sue: professional teacher/grandmother.