Thursday 31 July 2014

The youth of today

I try to stay contemporary and relevant to the younger generation of Godchildren and nephews and nieces.  I don't want them to grow up thinking I'm old and weird, so I drop in references to cutting-edge bands, like Abba and Oasis, and the latest shows, like Bagpuss and Button Moon.

So imagine my surprise when our young guests had no idea what I was talking about and instead pointed me to what the kids are apparently watching on the YouTubes these days.

The first was a song about a duck.  To see them all cackling and rolling around, you'd have thought it was the first time of watching rather than something closer to the thousandth:



The next, more terrifying example, was something called asdfmovie.  Made for kids by kids it's...well...it seems to be a series of incredibly short cartoons with little narrative structure, plot development or central conceit.  When I was growing up there was a programme called The Fast Show where every comedy sketch lasted about three minutes.  With this one, three seconds seems to be the upper limit.

I warn you - if you have two brain cells to rub together you may find the following images disturbing:



I'm trying single-handedly to hold back this tsunami of cultural degradation by encouraging our visitors to play some real computer games, specifically Super Mario Bros 3.  Released in 1988, all right-thinking people know that it represents the pinnacle of fun:


All I heard were complaints that it lacked something called "3D".  Couldn't they see that the Nintendo Entertainment System is capable of displaying 25 colours at the same time?!

I'm off to make a cup of tea and watch repeats of Trumpton.