Friday 6 March 2015

Chocolate covered

At Amy's party of a few weeks back I got to meet many of the other parents of Pete's daycare friends.  "What do you do?" is an inevitable question, to which my current favoured reply is "I work within the home."  Perhaps "I'm a theologian" would lead to more interesting conversations...but perhaps not.

When I was the one asking the question I received the usual responses of lawyer, doctor, etc.  Until I chatted to Steve (a.k.a. Charlie's dad) who said "I was Gordon Ramsay's pastry chef in London for three years."  After I pulled Hannah off him - "I've never touched anyone who's touched Gordon!" she screamed in protest - he went on to tell us that he now runs a cafe in West Vancouver.  So on Friday we popped in to say hello.

"Cafe" is an understatement of the highest order.  The place is a chocolate factory where things are enrobed and molded, carved, painted, sprayed on, and many other things that Mr Cadbury could only dream of.  It's amazing!  It helped that Steve slipped me a free almond croissant and a few chocs while giving Hannah a tour of the kitchens.  And their coffee is almost as good as mine!  We sat and munched through a mango and caramel dessert, to make sure we'd sampled everything.

So I'm very happy to have found a rather fine cafe in which to sit as I put the finishing touches to the great Canadian novel.  Alternatively, I could ask for a job as a waiter.  A British accent, with a bit of Ramsay-style vocabulary, could give the establishment that little extra touch of class it deserves.


Only a hot chocolate.  When he can make me a cappuccino he can drink one.


Mango and caramel, in arty black and white, because I pressed the wrong button on my camera.


Back in colour (it's like The Wizard of Oz, this) to show off the chocs.