Tuesday 22 December 2015

Caught like a rat in a trap

I only have myself to blame, but when I told my 9-yr-old Goddaughter I'd take her to the cinema "to watch anything you want" I expected the correct answer: "I want to see the new Star Wars film!"  Unfortunately this particular hostage to fortune was met with the request: "Can we see Alvin and the Chipmunks?"

This installment - ingeniously titled The Road Chip - is the fourth in the long-running vermin-based musical comedy series, and though I haven't seen the rest I presume the central conceit is similar.  The plot, if I can use that word, mainly involves three talking rodents being told to stay in a room by their human owner and then, through hilarious misadventure and mischievous antics, escaping and causing chucklesome mayhem, while singing, until the same thing happens again.  Yep, I think that sums it up accurately.

There were some strange diversions, including the suggestion that the man who looked after them was in fact their biological father, but not enough to actually make the film, you know, entertaining.  It didn't help that Star Wars was playing in the next-door theatre and sounds of epic battles bled through the wall whenever there was a lull in the squeaky weasely warbling.  Megan inevitably loved it and giggled throughout while I found the whole experience terrifying in a way I could not fully comprehend, but I tried to remember that fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to suffering...


Chipmunk selfie.


The good people of Maryland have fine taste!  Better than ours, anyway.