Saturday 16 April 2016

Science and Engineering

As you know, I'm a bit ambivalent towards science.  If it was that important there'd be more of it in the Bible.  But I'm willing to concede that some science - or "magic", as I prefer to call it - does exist, so I was happy to accompany Hannah to the USA Science and Engineering Festival where Chevron was sponsoring and she was volunteering.  There's some engineering involved in getting oil out of the ground apparently; dowsing sticks and the like.

Well, there is much more science out there than I thought.  The Festival takes over an entire convention centre, filling several football-field-sized rooms over three floors.  Everyone was there, from the diplomatic service demonstrating the vehicles they use to ferry dignitaries around (three batteries, two alternators, inch-thick bullet-proof windows) to farmers talking about DNA.  There were also hundreds of demonstrations like "Big Top Physics" who brought along a smoke ring canon and Sea World who had an armadillo.

I discovered that I was volunteering too when I was handed 4-yr-old Virginia so that her mum Tracey could do her Chevron work.  Chasing Virginia and Pete from booth to booth was extremely tiring, especially as I had to maintain my healthy skepticism of all the "facts" presented.  Luckily Lauren, Nate and Evie arrived later and so the adult-child ratio got a little better.

Hannah's shift finished around midday and I gratefully handed the children back, then found a comfy seat in an auditorium downstairs.  On stage was a group of young teenagers taking part in a Maths Olympiad.  As the indecipherable questions and formulas flashed across the big screen I did realise one indisputable proof: I'm not as clever as I think I am.


Off to the booth.


Hannah helps her first customers build a light-up badge, and shows them how good and generous oil companies are.



In Evie's absence, Pete had to find someone else's hand to hold.


Sea World had penguins too!  But no killer whales.


Electricity.  Or wizardry.


I have to give this lady an A+ for effort as she spent a lot of time explaining how DNA works to a 2, 3 and 4-yr-old.  In the end they got to make some with liquorice and fruit loops, so everyone left happy.  (Note: Evie and hand holding are back).


See what science leads to?  Human-animal hybrids.  That's just wrong.


More demonstrations.


Artificial snow!  This was great, and we got some packets to make at home, which won't be messy at all.


A quick refreshment break, where they got to eat the DNA they made earlier.


Virginia has a go with the smoke ring canon.


Robots!


Real robots.


I once had an A-level in maths.  I don't know where that went, or if I ever had a clue how to solve a question like this.  But those whippersnappers on stage certainly did.


All this science!  Thank goodness it's church tomorrow.