Wednesday 5 October 2016

Food of the gods

In truth, I only had one reason for coming west of the Mississippi: In'n'Out Burger.  For no conceivable reason, the best burger chain in America stops somewhere around the Colorado border, its secret menu unknown to us east coasters, its milkshakes untasted and its fries uncrunched.  Ludicrously, there's even talk of them opening in London!  When that happens I'll be on the first flight back to the UK.

After several hours of losing money with my infallible roulette system I concluded that all tables in Vegas are rigged.  Just as I was about to bet the rental car on red it was time to go so we journeyed south-east, crossing the Hoover Dam and stopping in Kingman, where the fabled burgers were enjoyed and all was good with the world.  We continued to our final destination for now, Flagstaff.

I'd forgotten how diverse the desert is around here, with the road climbing up to 7,500 feet and the vegetation being everything from nothing to scrub to Joshua and normal trees.  It's all very breathtaking...unless you're a three-year-old when all you want to do is play your new imaginative game: In'n'Out Burger ("I'm the chef, you're the server, Grandma's the customer...").  Tomorrow we're going to look at a big hole in the ground, so we'll see how impressed he is with that.


Morning, Vegas.  Can I have my money back?


Keeping tight hold of each other.


Half in Arizona, half in Nevada.


Getting his bearings.


Holding back the flood.


One of the man-made wonders of the world?



One of the man-made wonders of the world!!


Mmm, chips (fries).


There's no mandatory retirement age in the USA.


At a playpark in Flagstaff, attempting to run off energy before bed.  That's the trouble with feeding children.