Friday 2 December 2016

This is the news!

In these days of fake news it's comforting to know that my blog is always 110% accurate, although half the time there's only a 1-in-7 chance of that.  The point is that journalism is a tricky business, as one of DC's newest and most impressive museums, Newseum, is set up to show.

Now this isn't a place I'd usually go as you have to pay to get in, but with my sister in town (who has been before and can't stop singing its praises) I was happy to part with some hard cash to enjoy quality time with her.  Who says I have no heart?

The only trouble is that, despite the place being fascinating (and it really is), most of what becomes news is deeply depressing.  War, famine, refugee crises...all are documented from the point of view of the reporters and those they were reporting on.  The clips of slightly happy things - Charles and Di's wedding, the Olympics, Bill Clinton saying "I did not have relations with that woman" - are rays of light in the stormy news report montages.  A display of Pulitzer Prize photos is breathtaking, but let's just say you don't win it for pictures of puppies.

With the White House only blocks away it'll be interesting to see what happens next, given the new guy's lukewarm view of the liberal, corrupt, biased press.  Regardless, my blog will be here as a beacon of truth in a dark world until the censors and/or doctors drag me away.


They have a big slice of Berlin wall here, and a watchtower.  I'm glad the era of thinking walls are effective is over.


Nice views from upstairs balcony.


The worst amendment.


A map of world press freedom.  Go Chile!


Teletext was a failure?  This was the Internet of my childhood!


Good evening and welcome.


Temperatures have dropped since Emily arrived.


It's sad to see that Charlie Brown had extensive work done as he got older.


Even Newseum isn't immune to false news.  Everyone knows the truth about The King.