Tuesday 11 April 2017

Extended family

The Welsh have invaded!  My cousin Mark with wife Liz and three boys Lewis, Ollie and Freddie have arrived from Pembrokeshire, via Heathrow and New York.  This is further than 90% of people from West Wales travel in their whole lives so it's quite an achievement.

They picked up a rental car from downtown Manhattan at 4pm on Sunday, so didn't quite make it down to us on the day they planned.  There's a good joke about a Welshman driving a load of wood to London that I was reminded of, but I'll let you look that up for yourselves.  Anyway, they finally managed to escape the big smoke and get to DC.  They brought the British weather with them; scorching sunshine and temperatures in the high 80Fs/20Cs.

We took advantage by doing everything in downtown Washington.  You name the monument, we saw it, and I was mostly successful in stopping my son and nephews from jumping into each fountain they spotted.  Pete hasn't quite worked out that he's half the age of his youngest cousin so can't really keep up.  He's sleeping very soundly as I type.

The only real shock - one that I should have foreseen - has been how much they eat.  Luckily we're going to the baseball tomorrow where it's $1 hotdog day...


Pete, tour guide, leads the way.


Quick caffeine hit in Peet's Coffee before heading out into the heart of US government.


Mr Trump is America's equivalent of the First Minister in the Welsh Assembly.


Tired out already.


The usual suspects.


Who's that chap with the Reeds?


One of the last times I'll get to look at this for a while, so I snapped away.


Tourists.


Refuel and refresh...ready for tomorrow.