Monday 17 April 2017

You gotta roll with it

As you know, I am a man of unimpeachable ethical standards and unshakable political conviction.  Until someone offers me a free ticket somewhere and then I'm like "whatever".  Which is how I found myself standing on the White House lawn staring up at Mr Trump himself as he regaled us from the balcony at the annual Easter Egg Roll.

This isn't the first roll I've attended.  Back in 1983 I got to go with Dad when he was over here for a government thing, and waved to Hollywood actor Ronald Reagan as he took a walkabout through the crowd (see?  Trump might be the least qualified man to hold the office but he's not the only unqualified man).  This time we were on VIP oil tickets, proving business and government both care for the common people.

Unlike 1983 I had to hold back and let the kids do all the fun stuff; we took Pete and Virginia (whose mum couldn't get a break from the DC Chevron office) and they ran around chasing bunnies, posing with fancy-dress characters, and eating hard boiled eggs on sticks (amazing!)  We were then told that the leader of the free world was about to address the crowd.  "The Queen's here?" I asked, but they only meant Donald Trump, who confirmed that this was the biggest and best egg roll ever.  Hannah opted to take the kids to decorate cookies while he spoke.  No sense of history.


First family.


Who ate all the eggs?  The very hungry caterpillar, that's who!


Ready to roll...


...and off they go!


We weren't the only British impostors.


Official photo.


Easter egg hunt!  You've missed a big one.


Boiled egg on a stick!  Because everything's better on a stick.


Something about chickens.


Who's that up there with the Easter bunny?


A kickaround with DC United.


Press secretaries are looking younger and younger.


And our collector's item.  Maybe Schwarzenegger will be president next time I get to attend.