Sunday 16 September 2018

Vive Chile!

I've mentioned before how my home country doesn't do well in the independence celebration stakes, mainly because everyone's celebrating independence from us.  But one continent where that doesn't ring so true is South America, where our Spanish neighbours get to take most of the blame.  And one country in particular that likes us is Chile, where a disgraced British Admiral was instrumental in their fight for independence!

I learned that when we visited Chile.  I also learned that Chileans are the friendliest people, so it was little surprise when the mother of one of Pete's friends invited us to a Chilean independence party within minutes of meeting us.  I guess one thing Chileans aren't great at is judging character.

Of course we went along, for one reason: empanadas.  Think Cornish pasties if Cornwall was in the Mediterranean.  Actually, there was another reason: Chilean wine.  We ate and drank through the dancing and the speeches; all in Spanish, but that's only slightly more difficult to understand than American.

The videos and pictures of the stunning Chilean landscape made me homesick for a country that's not home, and left me wondering if I shouldn't organise something similar as a celebration of Britain for Houstonians.  The only thing I could come up with was Guy Fawkes Night: "come and burn someone in effigy to celebrate foiling a terrorist plot 400 years ago!"  Might be a bit of a hard sell...


Vive Chile!  It's nice that Texas chose a flag that's so similar.


Pete and his friend Elena being patriotic.


Want to start a fight at a Chilean party?  Say: "I've always thought Argentinean empanadas are superior..."


 Chilean youth.


Dulce de leche cake for dessert.


The Consul General of Chile in Houston, don't you know!


Dancing, singing...



...and wine!