Wednesday 27 February 2019

Herd instinct

What could be more fun than going to the rodeo?  Going to the rodeo with a class of 5- and 6-yr-old children!  Yes, Pete's school had a field trip, and I volunteered to be a chaperone (again).

Now, having been a foster carer, I'm very comfortable telling other people's kids how to behave.  I actually have a suspicion that shouting at children is the reason God put me upon this earth, but I do have occasional moments of clarity when I think: "Maybe these parents don't like me disciplining their kids.  Especially in this restaurant/playground/Disneyland.  When I've never met them before."  Then I realise: "No, it's obviously fine, they've seen Mary Poppins, and I sound just like her."

Which is why school trips are great, because you're doled out a certain number of kids and sent off, with nothing more than a time and place to catch the bus at the end.  True, a little more educational content would be welcome, but I just assume that this responsibility falls on my shoulders as well, so regurgitated anything I'd managed to half-remember from spending time on my aunt's farm.

Luckily I had fellow parent Carolina to help me out, who is sensible, and fun, and popular with the kids, so it wasn't a complete catastrophe.  We watched calves and piglets being born in the "Agventure Arena", saw champion goats being judged, earned fake dollars (and a real chocolate bar) growing plastic vegetables, and petted and fed animals ranging from rabbits to llamas.

At the end of a long day we re-boarded the school bus and crawled home through Houston rush hour traffic.  Well, most of us did.  I simply opened my umbrella and flew off into the sunset, ready for when I'm needed next.


The rodeo is used to hosting lots of animals, but few as wild as these.


Case in point.


"The judges are looking for...um...four legs, two eyes, a tail..." I wisely taught my charges.


Some more entrants.


The funnest side of farming.


Carolina, far more nurturing and caring than me.


When goats attack!


We also learned about healthy eating.


Pete, chaperone in training.


Day at the races.


A tired bus ride home.