Friday 22 February 2019

Pony parade

The rodeo's back in town!  Houston Livestock Show And Rodeo is, naturally, the largest in the world, and we all go crazy for it.  Many people trail ride in from hundreds of miles around and parade through the centre of the city, all before the madness of roping, branding, and sitting-on-a-bull-until-it-throws-you-off has even begun.

Pete's school opted for something more sedate, which was a pony parade on Go Texan Day.  The only slight parental annoyance was that we had to make the ponies ourselves, and a detailed fact sheet on the matter come home in the school bag.  Being the good student I am I followed it to the letter, stealing one of Hannah's old hiking socks and going from there.  So imagine my surprise on parade day to see plenty of shop bought ponies!  Disgusting.  I hope I get an A+ at the end of the year for my efforts.

The parade itself was the expected chaos, mostly because it took place in the gym due to inclemency.  The Kindergartners and Pre-K kids walked around while the rest of the school sat in the middle and cheered.  "This is the last year they get to do this," one mother told me tearfully.  I couldn't tell whether they were tears of sadness or relief.


Cowgirls and boys on the way to the corral.


And they're off!


Pete's class, with his saint of a teacher.


Ride em', cowboy!


Not homemade and a unicorn!  Completely illegal.


I got a LOT of compliments on my outfit.  "Comments and compliments are not the same thing," claimed Hannah, but she's wrong.