Sunday 8 March 2020

Not my first

The rodeo's back in town! Yes, it's that time of year when urban Houstonians get to pretend to be cowgirls/boys. Some country folks sniff at all this, but being "Texan" has always been about acting the part. Ever since the Texians came down from the East Coast and the Tejanos came up from Mexico, Texas was never held together by family ties or ethnic groups but by people saying "We're here, so we're Texans!" It's a grand tradition that lives on to this day, specifically when I go to thrift stores and find myself some fantastic, only slightly musty rodeo-wear.

So I certainly smelled authentic as I accompanied my embarrassed wife to the Chevron suite for a night of watching cattle roping and bull riding. Security banned me from taking my camera in, claiming that it was too professional (the first time I've been accused of that) but luckily a lady selling hot sauce outside the arena held onto it for me, and I bought several bottles as thanks.

A couple of days later we went back with Pete, to wander the judging arenas - goats and rabbits that day - enjoy the various agricultural displays, and treat him to some fairground rides. There were a few new features this year, including a walk-in cage full of budgies, but the best part is how enthusiastic the farmers and breeders are! A lady chatted to me for 20 minutes about bee keeping, and we were allowed to pet several rabbits when their owners saw us admiring them in their show cages.

Being locals, we also knew how to do it right: in by 8.30am and out by lunch, before the crowds appeared. They've been somewhat dampened this year by virus scare, although odds are better of getting mauled by a llama in the petting zoo than catching that. I now have a year to continue improving my Texan-ness, perhaps get in an animal to show in 2021. A horse? A longhorn? Maybe start with a rabbit and go from there.


Does it get more Texan? Answer: no.


We all have dreams, and we all end up battered and fried.


Popcorn chicken.


Budgie smuggler.


 Close genetic variants.


Californians together!


Hannah, overcome by the friendliness of the goats in the petting zoo.


It's all about the trucks.


"Farming Simulator" is a good title for the whole rodeo.


See? We are genuinely rural. Just not around here.


A corn-pit!


Enjoying a completely health and safety compliant fairground ride.


Pizza on a stick.