Friday 13 March 2020

The Davies Academy For The Exceptionally Gifted

Plans to home school my son have always been met with much hostility from my wife, even though the Houston education system is shocking. They teach such things as evolution, that the world isn't flat, and that Elvis is dead! I do my best to correct Pete after school, but there's only so much one can do.

So when news came that they were closing all the Houston schools because of germs - another concept I'm dubious about - I jumped at the opportunity! Everything is shut until March 30th (at least...) and so today I opened The Davies Academy For The Exceptionally Gifted, with three inaugural students: Pete, Levi and Lexi.

The writing was on the wall for a few days, when the school mentioned it was putting together folders of info about online courses. Pete came out yesterday asking me to carry his backpack, which held four telephone-directory-thick workbooks. With the rodeo shutting, concerts cancelled, and museums shuttered, we're in a strange non-lockdown lockdown, where the fear of being sued seems to be driving decisions. Not a bad thing, if it makes the USA take public health seriously.

But back to the lessons! Mr Davies the stern class teacher began with some drawing to music, followed by book reading then recess at the local park (where many exasperated parents kept social distance from each other). I puzzled over how to keep the school's bilingual curriculum intact, but thought a switch to Welsh might be a little jarring. Luckily I found Frozen 2 in Spanish, so that took care of that and left me free to pursue a teacher's onerous administrative tasks, such as popping out the back for a quick smoke.

We finished with computer studies followed by maths worksheets, then I dismissed all three children with glowing report cards. Thankfully no one was sent to Principal Davies's office, although Nurse David was required when Lexi bumped her knee.

It's Spring Break from tomorrow, which means the current hiatus is one week of holiday and one of more home school, although I think it'll just be me and Pete then; he can expect much intense one-to-one Bible study, possibly with some hymn singing. Once word gets out, even after school restarts The Davies Academy is expected to be massively oversubscribed. Get your child's name on the wait list now!


The school day starts with the pledge of allegiance...to the Queen.


Highly industrious.


All under the watchful eye of Snr. Davies.


Dunce caps are apparently too negative. Never did me any harm!


Family history project.


I did engage a substitute teacher for some lessons.


Sand pit.


More art!


Then Lexi informed me that it was nap time.


Which lasted about 30 seconds.


What better way to learn a foreign language than by watching Disney films?


Computer studies. I think there may be a lot of "computer studies" during Pete's school closure.


The toilet paper aisle. Yes, they're as crazy around here as everywhere else! Thank goodness I hoarded 10,000 rolls last month.