Friday 26 November 2010

Is it a bird?

Driving yesterday through the thick fruit trees that line each side of the I-5, we had a chance encounter with a bird.  A grey streak shot out (without indicating) and there was an unfortunate thud as it hit our car.  I checked in the rear view mirror and watched the cloud of feathers disperse gently.

"At least it died instantly," I commented to Hannah, feeling all the guilt of a murderer (a birderer?)  I comforted myself knowing that a turkey was being pardoned somewhere, and was more pleased when I heard that both Thanksgiving turkeys were locals.

However, this morning we discovered that the demise of our feathered friend might not have been as clinical as we first thought.


Some viewers may find the following images disturbing.  Sorry, I should have put that warning higher up.


If we'd have checked yesterday, we wouldn't have needed that turkey.