Thursday 10 February 2011

Spinning a yarn

Once again, the idyllic tranquility of Walnut Creek was shattered by the revelation in local  Mercury News that unknown thugs had yarn-bombed one of our lamp posts.  This heinous act of vandalism, presumably gang-related, involves knitting around something in a public place in a tea cosy sort-of manner.  Our own lamp post was bedecked in a variety of horizontal stripes (which made it look fat, in my opinion), and seemed to be the work of a number of different lawless knitters:


I have to make the confession, shocking for an investigative journalist such as myself, that I hadn't actually noticed this willful act of violence until Drew (visiting this coming Saturday, and so understandably worried about crime around here) sent me a link.  By the time I was on the scene our humourless city officials had cut it down and carted it away.

You can read the original article here, although it misses the opportunity to talk about law and order unraveling in the Creek, dyed-in-the-wool criminals, or that we should just accept that sometimes knit happens.

A more balanced view of our suburban enclave is available in the State of the City address by our mayor.  She says that crime is down (at least, it was until today), that we're getting a new bakery, and that 600 apartments might be built as part of our new transit village.  I'm not sure about that last one, we prefer to keep Walnut Creek for local people.  I'm sure her speech will be featured on Walnut Creek TV soon.