Friday 10 June 2011

Graduation

A while ago I was sucked in by the promise of free ice cream to volunteer at Concord Childcare Center.  I've been going along every Thursday, helping kids whose parents don't speak English to finish their homework.  I've certainly provided amusement, being "really tall" and "sounding funny", and fumbling through the odd Spanish phrase now and again ("más rápido, por favor").

But today I had to wave goodbye to a large section of the class at their graduation.  Some of these kids started at the place when they were four months old, and now at the age of seven have to find their own support after school.  Oh, and the bankrupt state of California is cutting the Center's funding by $200,000 next year because apparently people think they can pay lower taxes and have the same level of public services.  Don't get me started...

Anyway, I arrived to find a flurry of activity as the girls had eye shadow and make-up applied, and they boys got sparkly gel in their hair.  Then it was outside to do a goodbye dance in front of the parents, and for teachers Iris and Niele to give a little speech about each graduating child before giving them a certificate and a backpack.  Thankfully everything was bilingual, for the three of us in the crowd that can't (yet!) speak Spanish.  And while I did shed a tear or two - metaphorically - at my kiddies growing up, I also met next year's class.  And they are soooooooo cute!


Preparations in full swing, with Gennesis in the chair.


Fellow volunteer Allison gets the healthy fruit platters ready.


The girls looking good, and Yahir in the background (and teacher Iris behind him).


Me and my super-cute kiddies!  My quest to adopt Mexican babies continues...


Class of 2011.


The end-of-year dance.


The class of 2012 sings a goodbye song to the outgoing seniors.


Teachers Niele and Iris MC proceedings.


Hermione proudly displays her certificate and bag.


Graduates together.


The food arrives, and I got to try my first tomale.


Food + excitement + a bouncy castle.  I left before it got messy.