Friday 24 June 2011

Smoke and mirrors

I've always wanted to be a fireman.  Mainly because of this:



Today my dreams almost came true when I got to visit Contra Costa County Fire Station 6 on a trip with Concord Children's Center!

Instead of one big fire station, which I think is how we do it in England, they have lots of small ones spread around.  There were only six people stationed at this one, and two fire trucks.  We were shown around by Fireman Palo and Fireman Tom, and although we got to see all the bits of the station I didn't get the chance to dress up or turn on a siren.  And you were only allowed to use the fire hose if eight or under.  Most disappointing.


My walking partners, Brian and Rodrigo.


Off we go to the station!  If you see a group of blue-clad kids around here, I suggest you cross the road.


Fire Station 6.


A video about fire prevention before the tour.  It was good, but not Fireman Sam (who's Welsh!)


Fire fighter Palo introduces us to the map room.


Fire fighter Tom gets to dress up (unfair!  He does this every day).


Glistening.


Hosing down.


Class photo - 38 kids in all, and it sounded like it.


Lunch in the park, and then...


...why not fill them all up with hyperactivity-inducing ice cream?!


Tough choices.


"Wild 'n reckless" was a (grammatically questionable) favourite, and it certainly had its desired effect on the kids. I'll be bringing my nephews and nieces here when they visit.  Then running.


Satisfied customers.