Sunday 5 June 2011

Means of production

Ever since leaving Britain there has been a hole in my heart, and that hole is in the shape of a fish finger sandwich.  Along with bread and butter pudding, it is undoubtedly my country's greatest contribution to world cuisine (so many to choose from!)  Yet its central ingredient, the aforementioned fish finger, is harder to find here than a decent cup of tea.

But today, by complete coincidence, one of the leaflets from Target that regularly chokes up our post box featured 50c off a packet of 'fish sticks'.  On an initial inspection of the postage-stamp-sized picture on the coupon, they seemed to resemble something not entirely dissimilar from the golden cuboids of loveliness I so miss.

An excited hour later, all the necessary ingredients were in my possession and Hannah let me into the kitchen to assemble my creation.  In these healthy times I opted to grill rather than fry, and I had to substitute a white hotdog bun for a fresh slice of Hovis.

After all my hard work it was time to bite into the gourmet dish.  Tears didn't quite fill my eyes - the quality was certainly below the standards of the sandwiches Mat would regularly serve for lunch back in Witton Gilbert.  Hannah speculated this was due to the sweetness of American bread rather than the fish sticks.  It was, however, close enough to encourage more experimentation, and I felt proud to ignite another small light of civilisation (with an 's') in this dark place.


Ingredient one.


Ingredient two.


Ingredient three.  Hey, it's the way you put them together that counts!


Hmmm...not entirely convinced.


Note the even distribution of the tomato sauce.  That takes practice.


Many fish gave small bits of themselves for my enjoyment.


Everything in position.


The slightly unconventional but acceptable addition of mayonnaise, in lieu of tartare sauce.


Fish finger sandwich and a fine Merlot.  And one satisfied customer.