Wednesday 24 August 2011

Goodbye, old friend

I had a dream when I moved to this country.  It was a dream of bettering myself through hard work and determination and so improving my low position in society.  The dream also featured a pick-up truck, a firearm, and a La-Z-Boy.

So far, only one part of that dream has come true.  During my first few days in this new land I wandered into a charity shop with Amanda (having met her, for the second time ever, on a bus) and there it was: a genuine La-Z-Boy reclining love seat.  I knew I had to have it, especially when Amanda demonstrated the fully reclined extra comfy position.

I don't recall how we got it up to our third floor apartment, but it must have been a struggle as every time I've attempted to move it since it has required three of us.  Shauli claims he owns a significant share of it given how many times he's helped shift it.  It has been the much-loved centrepiece of each of our apartments but, sadly, shockingly, today I had to wave it goodbye.

No, it doesn't match any of our stuff that arrived from England, and it has been occupying a position right in front of our sliding doors onto the balcony, absorbing around 70% of all light that shines through.  Whenever I've mentioned its impending departure to friends and family they have reacted with disbelief and disgust.  I can't argue!  It is possibly the most comfortable thing ever created.

But all is not lost!  Rather than donating La-Z back to a thrift store, or setting it on fire Viking-style, or simply dropping it into the swimming pool, it was moved to...Walnut Hill Apartment's Club House!  Yes, any time I or any visitors are missing it we can take a short stroll across the complex and enjoy the superior sofa's warm and soft cheek-cushioning embrace.

Negotiations with Hannah are ongoing as to whether I'm now allowed to buy my truck now.


I think it blends in well, but...


Florin, our maintenance manager, kindly helped me shift it for one last time.


And here the 'Boy is in its new home!  And it matches the decor very nicely.


After all that hard work it was time for a rest.  How convenient!

---

Just how central has this seemingly unremarkable inanimate object been to our lives?  Well, if you will permit me to saunter down memory lane...


My entire relationship with Amanda is based on this one moment.


Dad approves of my purchase.


So does Mum, although she greedily takes up both seats!


It was the backdrop to many important celebrations.


Party central!


A safe, secure place to leave a child.


Not quite so safe and secure when four children are involved.


What more does a room need?  There's now a La-Z-Boy shaped hole in my heart.