Saturday 5 January 2013

Childcare

"Would you like to look after Arbel for the day?" Anat and Shauli asked.  "Of course!" I said.  "Great," they replied, "we've just come back from Israel, he's massively jet-lagged, and he's been up since 1am.  Don't let him sleep for more than two hours.  Bye!"

Arbel was asleep in the back of the car when he was handed over, and when I gently roused him at lunchtime he had many questions such as: why is David cruelly waking me up?  Where did my parents go?  How did I get to Palo Alto?  Why is the sun shining in the middle of the night?  I summoned all my childcare skills to placate him...and bought him a plate of chips at The Cheesecake Factory.

After that things improved immensely, although he didn't smile and lose the 1000-yard stare until mid-afternoon when I moved on to feeding him donuts (oh, yes, I was at the top of responsible form today!)  We visited some thrift stores, went to the park, and he chatted non-stop in Hebrew.  "Ken," I nodded, deploying my one Hebrew word.  "Yes," Arbel said back.  We understood each other.

After the fourth time he'd tried to put himself to bed I relented and got him into his pyjamas.  He was out in around three seconds, and I can only hope that our child will be as sunny under sleep-deprivation (but I know Hannah, so probably not).  Anat arrived home at 6.30pm looking even more tired than her son, but she can put her own pyjamas on.  I'm off for a long sleep in a nice quiet house, and to smugly enjoy that while it lasts...


Ready for a big surprise when he wakes up!


Breakfast of champions.


"Maybe this is all just a bad dream."


Thrift store shopping makes everybody happy!


Psycho Donuts, the perfect destination for any toddler.


Mmm, sugary fatty carbs.  Now we're all smiling!


We got some lovely presents from Israel!  Cute!  Just have to check none of these say "no return to pre-1967 borders".