Saturday 25 January 2014

Of all the gin joints in all the towns...

Is it wrong if the proprietor of the gin distillery greets your baby by name?  Of course not!  It's evidence of my commitment to supporting Vancouver businesses.

Long Table is our local distillery (it makes me so happy to type the phrase "local distillery") and, to be fair, I had gone in yesterday as well, hence the baby-name greeting.  My first trip was fact-finding and, having found the fact that their tastings are free, I returned today with Hannah and Emily.

They started up last year and currently offer a vodka, two gins, and a couple of flavoured spirits too.  Their vodka is great - they add a little lemongrass into the still, which makes it smooth and delicious.  They have a cucumber gin, made with British Columbia-grown cucumbers, and then a straight London Dry.  That one's 45% strength, so I'm afraid I can't tell you much about the tastings after that.

I do remember being told that, from next week, they're starting a Friday afternoon gin & tonic bar.  Do you need any more reason to come to visit?



The walk home was somewhat wobblier than the walk there.


Line them up, bartender.



Where the magic happens.



Mother's ruin.


Pete was impressed by the balanced botanicals and citrus notes.


Shaken and stirred.