Sunday 27 April 2014

Run for your wife

Pete has a 50% chance of growing up sporty.  He also has a 50% chance of growing up loving computer games (a number boosted by sitting watching me play all-day-every-day).  But today the sporty side won out when we saw Hannah compete in the annual Vancouver Sun Run.

Now in its 30th year, the run is named after the local paper rather than ironically after this city's weather.  It's a 10km race around downtown, starting right by the cathedral and trailing through Stanley Park, over a bridge or two, and finishing at the stadium.  It's the second biggest run in North America, attracting around 50,000 entrants.

Hannah has adopted a grueling training regime...intermittently...but it worked when she clocked a time of 59:10, finishing around the top 20% of all runners and top 15% of her category.  Unbelievably impressive!  I'm going to have to work harder at my computer gaming, shortly after giving my Olympian wife a foot massage.


Hannah is runner 803 - that's my favourite number in the whole world!


Plenty of others line up as well.


With her work/running-mate Gillian.  They made up the Chevron team from her office.


Here's the view from the very back of the line as Pete and I try to escape from a totally closed city centre.


 And this is the start!  Hannah had to wait over an hour to cross, given the vast hordes and the way they started people in groups, but luckily they only time you from when you cross the line...


...except this group - these are the elites who started off first, to win.  I thought of breaking into the lead pack pushing Pete in his buggy, for the unbelievable photo opportunity, but thankfully reconsidered (given that my fastest flat-out sprint wouldn't have got me near them anyway I avoided epic fail embarrassment).


And there go the rest.  We didn't spot Hannah, but did see two bananas that she started alongside.


Next year it's my turn, I guess.  Or not.