Tuesday 18 November 2014

Go west, young man

It was a sad farewell to Eastern Europe for me today as my whistle-stop tour of Georgia came to an end.  I crept out of the house early while Christine and the kids slept, but my good friend Vince was up to wave me off...and maybe to make sure I didn't steal anything on my way out.

He'd booked me a taxi, and Georgian taxis are renowned for their punctuality.  They don't have working seat belts, but they are on time.  I had an extensive conversation with the driver:

"Airport?"
"Airport."

There wasn't much traffic for me to enjoy at that time in the morning, but I did experience that fabulous moment when a taxi in a foreign city turns off the main highway and screeches at speed into a dark back alley.  Does the driver know a shortcut?  Am I about to be bundled into a garage and shot?  Thankfully the former, so I felt the shame of still distrusting anything not British despite years living abroad.

Tbilisi airport was quiet, clean, and efficient, and even offered free wi-fi.  It's been very nice not having to fill in any landing or customs forms during this trip, a marked difference from flying into the USA or Canada when I have to declare a value on every jar of Marmite I'm carrying.  Connecting through Istanbul was again easy, and we landed at Gatwick twenty minutes early.

So there we are!  I got into a taxi at 6.10am in Tbilisi and stepped out onto Salisbury train station at 1.45pm.  Thank you Muckers for your fabulous hospitality over these all-too-short couple of days, and I'm still shocked that it's some Americans who have taught me that the world is not the scary, inaccessible, unfriendly place that I once thought it was.  Although next time, please move to a place where driving causes less extreme spikes in blood pressure.


I leave you with a pic of Vince's favourite statue in Tbilisi.  A metaphor for communism, he says, or maybe for international diplomacy.