Wednesday 25 February 2015

From a real cricketing nation

No longer will I sing "get your stars off our flag!" when we play cricket against New Zealand.  Mainly because they always beat us, but also because today we came home to a waiting package bearing the unmistakable emblem of the silver fern.  Our fine Kiwi friends Dan, Fiona and Patrick had managed to smuggle us something it's impossible to come by in Canada: a Pete-sized cricket set!

I immediately set things up, and we had a fun hour bowling and batting (I'm working up slowly to a five-day test match).  Pleasingly, Pete seems to be a left-arm fast bowler, so an England call-up is virtually inevitable.  But he does like to run down the wicket in his follow-through and kick over the stumps.  It's only a matter of time until he starts sledging me.


Don't worry - your US passport means you'll be able to represent a less embarrassing team than England.


I like it!  Reminiscent of Sir Viv Richards in his pomp.