Thursday 4 August 2016

Life begins

No matter how far you run, no matter where you hide, time (and the Canadian Mounted Police) will always find you.  The Mounties have yet to catch me, but today the march of years did and I got to celebrate forty years on this earth.

Forty?!  I know.  Almost every day someone says to me "I thought you were, like, twenty-five.  You look amazing.  You should be a male model or something."  But then Hannah bangs on the bathroom door and I have to leave the mirror.

Luckily today involved a party where my parents invited anyone who had ever changed my nappy over for a cup of tea and cake.  I felt very honoured...until it became clear that Mum mainly wanted to show off her Grandson to all her friends.  It didn't matter - by that point I'd been given a bottle of Baileys and a couple of crisp twenty-pound notes, so my birthday was basically complete.  I blew out the candles on my cake then shuffled off for an afternoon nap.  When you get to my age...



My nephew Oliver looks on.  When I was your age, young man, I was...pretty much as boring as I am now.


Computer games prove more interesting than Uncle David's birthday reminiscences.


England.  Nice when the sun comes out.


My parents kept my old bike!  Now it's ready for the next generation.