Wednesday 24 August 2016

Vacation for whom?

"School's shut for the next two weeks," Pete's teacher casually mentioned on Friday.  After I'd got my hyperventilating under control thanks to the school nurse, everybody had left.  Two weeks!?  There was a time when a bouncy chair and a Baby Einstein DVD got me most of the day to myself, but no more.  Without visitors booked - in this situation I'd even be happy for my sister to stay! - I needed a plan.

OK, I thought, what 3-yr-old doesn't like abstract expressionism?  On Monday morning we took the train into DC for a wander around the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, "a leading voice for contemporary art and culture".  And things went alright.  While Pete admitted to leaning more towards fauvism and neo-dada in his tastes, we spent a good twenty minutes watching a repeating video of houseplants being thrown out of windows.



Um...yeah.

After that I needed to get back down to earth, so took the literal route of going to a farm.  Loudon Heritage Farm is a little way off into Virginia, but I'm always amazed how quickly the US capital gives way to the rural spread of the Shenandoah.  Unfortunately there were no actual living things at this farm, but far better than that were the stuffed animals, general store, post office and kitchen, all fully stocked to allow kids to do anything they wanted.  And they did anything.  The stove was filled with plastic fruit, whole chickens cooked and served with chocolate brownies.  Chaos reigned, and Pete loved it.

On day three I managed to convince Sarah, mother of Pete's classmate Zachary, to join us, so I had at least some adult conversation while the kids explored the indoor cave at Meadowside Nature Center.  My plan was to take a rowboat out on the nearby lake afterwards but Sarah could not be convinced to join us, even after my exhaustive recounting of British naval history and its countless triumphs.  Pete and I ended up paddling around in circles on our own.

How many days left now?



You park the car outside for five minutes and this happens.



This is a self-portrait of me on washing day in our house.


In Virginia it's legal to drive a tractor from the age of three!


Pete on Secretariat.


A bit of post-race grooming.


Prices have gone up in general store.


Disappointed that real milk didn't come out.


Chicken selfie!


Sarah receives medical attention.  Doctors are looking so much younger these days.


Right!  Which way to Gibraltar?