Tuesday 2 August 2016

Second childhood

We turned back east to Woking, and Ellen and Meg who so kindly picked us up from the airport all those days (is it only days?) ago.  A certain birthday is approaching for me, so Ellen had arranged a babysitter and a night out at a 2-for-1 Brazilian cocktail joint.  Needless to say we went crazy, staying out until almost 10pm before going home for a cup of tea and bed.

We needed to turn in early as the next day Ellen had planned a magical mystery tour, which included an ascension to the top of a London skyscraper.  Yes, London has skyscrapers!  Thirty-five storeys up, at the top of the so-called Walkie Talkie, is the Sky Garden - a public park with a tropical garden.  Thankfully it's enclosed, because the weather was anything but tropical.  The balcony was shut because it was too "inclement" so down we came.

As I get closer to this birthday I naturally become a little nostalgic for my former life of innocence and irresponsibility.  So off we went to the V&A Museum of Childhood, where I'd read they had a new exhibition about Bagpuss.  Ah, Bagpuss, dear Bagpuss, old fat furry cat-puss.  The greatest children's programme ever, from the minds of Peter Firmin and Oliver Postgate who also gave us The Clangers and Ivor the Engine.  Spending time with the actual Bagpuss was a near-religious experience for me.

The rest of the museum was less inspiring, given I was looking at many toys and games I owned in my youth now displayed in glass cases to help people remember what kids used to do in the olden days.  I found one of my old computers - an Amstrad CPC464 - and my old bike, a Raleigh Chopper; mine's still in my parents' garage.  Am I to be protected as a priceless antique also?  Time will tell.


Another visit, another photo of Ellen and Hannah drinking cocktails.


Am I old enough to drink this?


Next morning, Meg takes the brunt of babysitting duties.


A tropical garden!  In London!  In the sky!


And then outside.


Typical.


But it's always sunny with a smiling Meg.


High class family.


And...it's still raining.


Bagpuss!  THE REAL Bagpuss!


Professor Yaffle.


The Marvelous Mechanical Mouse Organ.


Enjoying some of the programmes that I enjoyed at their age.


Real Clangers!  The original 60s ones no less. 


Dai Station from Ivor the Engine - another classic.


Tiny and Small.