Sunday 10 December 2017

Early Christmas present

In a blatant attempt to copy what's happening in Houston, London decided to cover itself in snow.  Sadly it went a little far and now Heathrow airport is closed, or the bit of it that my parents' flight was going to land on, at least.  I was greeted with a big "CANCELLED!" on their flight status page, followed by a similarly-worded email to my mother's inbox.  All I can conclude is that Pete's been a very good boy and that Santa has listened closely.

Thankfully Houston still gives me plenty to keep my restless parents entertained.  We visited the Weiss Energy Hall again, where Dad (as a lifelong BP shareholder) was happy to learn about black, sticky energy.  Then, after our own snow melted, we traveled to Sugarland and its outpost of the Children's Museum.  Speaking of sugar, we've been ingesting plenty of it; pancakes and syrup for breakfast and nitrogen ice cream as an afternoon snack.

Now, even as I enter my third hour on hold, the clipped English tones of the lady on the British Airways recording remain charming.  I've actually come to believe that all of their agents are genuinely busy, that my call truly is important to them, and that they honestly will talk to me as soon as possible.  If not?  Well, there are some wonderful retirement communities in Texas that I'm sure have Christmas availability.


Fossils.


Taking the Geovator down into an oil field.


Helping Grandma deliver crude by rail.


Three generations under a drill bit.


They brought the weather with them.


Taxi drivers are looking younger and younger these days.


You never stop being a mechanical engineer.


Fake diner.


Real diner.


Back to sunshine, the proper Houston weather.


Clouds at the liquid nitrogen ice cream cafe.


Don't get too comfortable!  Oh, too late...